Nuku Tewhatewha is recognised as one of Te Awa Kairangi’s greatest treasures. Built in 1856, it is the only known intact pātaka of seven or eight known as Ngā Pou o te Kīngitanga (The Pillars of the Kingdom) that were carved across the North Island as symbols of support for the Kīngitanga (Māori King) Movement.

This pātaka whakairo (carved storehouse) is one of the Hutt Valley’s greatest treasures.

Commissioned by Wiremu Tako Ngātata and built in 1856 under the guidance of Ngāti Tūwharetoa carver Te Heuheu Tukino IV (Horonuku), it is one of several buildings created in support of the Māori king movement—and is the only one that survives intact.

Nuku Tewhatewha is a living symbol of struggle and resistance, unity and peace.

It inspires us to look to the past as we shape our future.

Read more HERE.

Opening Hours

  • Daily
  • 10am - 5pm


  • 45 Laings Road
  • Pōneke Wellington, Lower Hutt